Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Hot cross buns

Last weekend it was Easter, also in Aussie. Unfortunately I had to work during the entire long weekend due to go live for the project I've been on since we came here.
Long days on a air force base with no open restaurants.
The saviour is spelled Hot Cross Buns.

I had never seen these before coming here but  they have appeared in the stores for a couple of months. Now I have learned that traditionally they are eaten on Good Friday and that the white cross symbolizes Jesus death. There are different variant e g with chocolate and spices (from which I think ginger is the most prominent) but the original (and best) are the ones with raisins or currants. Most people seem to prefer them toasted with loads of butter.
So what do they taste? Are they good? Quite alright I must say although not that special. Something in between common bread and sweet buns.
However they are quite filling to your stomach and without them we wouldn't have come through the weekend!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment