Sunday, October 13, 2019

Curing jetlag in Bali

Can't really believe I've now been to Bali three times in three years. Who would have thought that? But this Indonesian island is very well positioned on the route to Australia and easy to reach by many airlines. Also there is close distance between the airport and many hotels which is convenient for a short stay, so Bali it was again.
It's a bit strange but every time I've come to Bali my first feeling has been "Oh what am I doing here, I should have gone somewhere else", but every time I've left my feeling has been "Don't wanna go, let me stay a few more days"
One funny thing that I've noticed is the different picture of Bali that people in Sweden and Australia in general have. For most Swedes, at least those who haven't been there it's a paradise Island with wonderful beaches, lush forests, rice fields, silence and slow lazy relaxed days. For the Aussies it's simply good surf and dirt cheap beer.
So let me then tell you the truth. I've now seen most of the famous beaches and can tell you they are ok but not in any way spectacular. You'll find better beaches in many destinations such as Thailand. Also Bali is very crowded, at least in the southern parts where most tourists stay. 4.2 million people live here! In combination with narrow roads, transporting is an issue and it takes like forever going anywhere. There are no public transports at all so taxi is your option unless you want to rent a scooter and go like the locals. I would never even consider driving a car myself here.
So what are some good things then? Yes, people are very friendly, always smiling. Food is good. As you know I always eat the local food wherever I go and many balinese dishes are something extra, although a bit spicy! There is also something special and authentic with the culture that makes Bali stand out. The temples and the stories about Garuda Wisnu and the other gods that can be seen in many performances of course but also the local music that you hear in all hotels, at all pools etc. It doesn't sound like anything else and you might first get crazy but after a while you are addicted!
Anyway, the idea to stay a few nights with lazy days to get rid of jetlag was good and can be recommended!

Cheers!

Fish market, Jimbaran

Fish harbour, Jimbaran

Jimbaran beach

Seafood dinner, Jimbaran

Sunset view from seafood dinner

Kuta beach, the most famous

Ku De Ta, yes this time I made it! Famous restaurant/beach club in Seminyak

Balinese dinner set at a more plain restaurant
(I was hungry so started eating before taking the picture...)

No comments:

Post a Comment